Originally known a Kaludanda, after Kalun (Black) and Danda (Hill) in local language, Lansdowne was founded and named after then Viceroy of India, Lord Lansdowne in 1887, and by 1901 it had a population of 3943. Lansdowne was developed by the British for catering for the Recruits Training center of the Garhwal Rifles. It was a major place of the activities of freedom fighters from British Garhwal during British period. Nowadays, the famous Garhwal Rifles of the Indian Army has its command office here. It is one of the quietest hill stations of India and is popular since Britishers came to India.
On 5 November 1887, the first battalion of Garhwal Rifles migrated from Almora to this place. It was the only city after Almora in the late 70’s. People of different culture and states came to do business in Lansdowne after it became popular. Today, you will see people of all religions at this place. The buildings and church of Lansdowne built during British India, which date back to the pre-independence period. Lansdowne is an ideal location for eco-tourism as it is well preserved by the government and the Garhwal Rifles.